Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Schoenrock Cross WIP progress

I am linking up Lee at Freshly Pieced

Here is the progress I made yesterday on the Schoenrock Cross block I have been wanting to make since last winter!!


As soon as I had my poinsettia block pillow completed (see below), I knew I wanted to make a coordinating block that I could make into a second pillow for my family room.

The Schoenrock Cross seemed to be the perfect choice. It has similar elements as the poinsettia pillow, and yet the design is a different scale - excellent. And I had plenty of the original Odds & Ends layer cake left, as well as some yardage to be used for binding and backing. Beautiful. Well, I am finally on my way to finishing this one up with some incentive as a result of joining up with the 2014 Finish-a-long. This one should be my first finish of the year.

I found the block templates at quilterscache.com, which I find to be an excellent resource if you are looking for blocks by size. This one happens to be a 14" block, which is a nice size for a pillow as is, or a slightly larger size can be made by adding a border, which is my plan. I like it when the hard work stays on the flatter surface of the pillow, rather than getting lost as it curves around to the edge.

I have not done any paper piecing since I learned to do it at Quilt Camp in December of 2012. I can for sure that I was a bit rusty, but Faith's paper piecing tutorial at fresh lemons quilts got me on track in no time.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the block. I have never heard of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I noticed a few days ago that there is a quilt along going on using this block! I think it was at wheretheorchidsgrow.blogspot.com - pretty funny that my timing at completing my block is at the same time. Thanks for visiting me!!

      Delete