Monday, June 24, 2013

Long time, no posts

Just a fast update - Trying not to stay on the computer for any length of time these days. I have been really struggling these past few months with nerve pain, tingling, numbness and muscle cramping in my upper back, and down my right arm. I finally have an actual diagnosis for what I have believed was the problem all along. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - a compression of the bundle of nerves, veins and arteries that pass beneath the collarbone on their way into the arm.

5 weeks of physical therapy (third time in 3 years) produced absolutely no relief. So, the new doctor believes it is time to move on to surgery.  I will be going through a very invasive procedure to try to relieve that pressure on the nerves. Both a Vascular surgeon and an Orthopedic surgeon specializing in upper extremities will work together to open up my neck just above the  collar bone.They may remove bone, muscle or whatever else they find in there that they think may be causing the problem. I will have a very long recovery time. 4 months minimum of physical therapy that will begin literally the morning following the surgery. YIPEE. OUCH.

Hoping to get back to doing some sewing (in very small doses) when the kids are back at school in September. I am going to try to get some cutting done before the scheduled surgery - which is coming up fast on July 11th.  If I have things cut out and maybe even pinned... I have a better shot at being able to accomplish some sewing!

Until the surgery though, getting the boys ready for summer camp is tops on my priority list.

4 comments:

  1. yeeee - ouch is right! I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how you love to sit and sew....wish there was something I could do for you. Prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Will take all the prayers and good thoughts I can get. At least I can still read blogs and look at other people's beautiful work while I recuperate. You know, because I don't already have 47 quilts in my brain that I want to make!!

      Delete
  2. What a crummy thing to have to suffer with. I'm glad you finally have a diagnosis and hope the surgery helps. Did you have the surgery already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi P. - I had the surgery last week. I am already seeing some relief from the nerve pain. I hope that it continues to heal. I am sitting looking longingly at some new fabric, knowing that it will be a while before I can cut into it!!! But, also hopeful that many of those tasks will be a lot less painful in the future.

      Delete